Hi! My name is Rose. I’m 23 years old, a graduate student in musicology, and someone with a strong interest in analyzing media – specifically music, film and television (including anime). I have been up to this for a while on my Tumblr, as well as with some of the articles I’ve written for Autostraddle.
To get you started, here’s a list of some of what I consider my better posts:
Television and Film:
- How Do We Solve a Problem Like “Queerbaiting”?: On TV’s Not-So-Subtle Gay Subtext (Autostraddle, was also reprinted at The Huffington Post)
- Princess Tutu, Media Analysis and Feminism (Tumblr — update 2/21/15: link is to re-post here)
- Revolutionary Girl Utena Transgresses Gender and Sexuality (Autostraddle)
- Artist Spotlight: Sally Whitwell (Autostraddle)
- Ladies of Note: A Brief History of Women Composers, Queer and Otherwise (Autostraddle)
- Artists, Politics and “the Gays” (Autostraddle)
- Claire Messud’s Interview Highlights Sexism Against Female Authors, Characters, and Actually All Women (Autostraddle)
As you’ll see, this is heavily focused on “social justice” approaches to media, particularly with regard to feminism and LGBTQ representation. What I’m hoping to do with this blog is to carve out a space for myself to analyze media in a broader sense, outside of that niche. While I still plan to use that lens, I’d really like to widen how I’m able to write about and look at music and film media.
(I also expect to write more about music here! Since, you see, that’s my area of greatest expertise, and yet, I rarely get to write about it in the non-academic writing spaces I’ve been given. So I’d really like to flesh that out!)